Selecting the best personality test for improving team cohesion in a company involves considering a few key factors. Personality tests can be useful tools for understanding team dynamics, individual strengths and weaknesses, and fostering a more collaborative environment. Here are some widely recognised and respected personality tests that you might consider:
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI): This test categorizes individuals into 16 distinct personality types based on four dichotomies (Introversion/Extraversion, Sensing/Intuition, Thinking/Feeling, Judging/Perceiving). It’s helpful for understanding team members’ preferred ways of thinking and interacting.
- DiSC Assessment: DiSC focuses on four personality traits – Dominance, Influence, Steadiness, and Conscientiousness. It’s particularly useful for understanding communication styles and can be instrumental in improving team interactions.
- StrengthsFinder (Now CliftonStrengths): Developed by Gallup, this assessment helps individuals identify their top strengths. Teams can use this information to assign tasks more effectively and appreciate the unique contributions of each member.
- Big Five Personality Traits: Also known as the OCEAN model, this test measures Openness, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, and Neuroticism. It’s backed by a significant amount of psychological research and can provide a well-rounded view of individual personalities.
- Belbin Team Roles: This tool identifies nine team roles and helps in understanding how each team member can best contribute to the team. It’s specifically designed for team dynamics.
- Emotional Intelligence (EQ) Assessments: While not a traditional personality test, EQ assessments can help team members understand their emotional intelligence, which is key for effective collaboration and communication.
- The Enneagram: A model of nine personality types, the Enneagram can be used for personal growth and understanding interpersonal dynamics.
When choosing a test, consider the following:
- Purpose: Define what you want to achieve with the test. Is it for team building, communication improvement, conflict resolution, or something else?
- Scientific Validity: Ensure the test is scientifically validated and reliable.
- Application to the Workplace: Some tests are more suited for workplace dynamics than others.
- Ease of Use: Consider how easy it is to administer the test and interpret the results.
- Cost: Factor in the cost of administering the test, especially if it requires certification or a trained professional to interpret the results.
It’s important to communicate with your team the purpose of the assessment and to use the results in a positive and constructive manner. Remember, no test is perfect, and they should be used as one of many tools in your toolkit to improve team cohesion.
References / Links
Here are the official websites for the various personality tests that can be useful for improving team cohesion in your mid-sized company:
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI):
- Official Website: The Myers-Briggs Company【source】.
- Additional Information: MBTI Online【source】, Myers Briggs Foundation【source】.
- DiSC Assessment:
- StrengthsFinder (CliftonStrengths):
- Big Five Personality Traits:
- Truity provides a free version of the Big Five Personality Test: Big Five Personality Test【source】【source】.
- Belbin Team Roles:
- Emotional Intelligence (EQ) Assessments:
- Six Seconds offers resources and assessments for emotional intelligence: Six Seconds【source】【source】.
- The Enneagram:
Each of these websites provides detailed information about the respective tests, including how to administer them, interpret the results, and apply the insights to improve team dynamics and cohesion.