Here is an article that might be highly relevant to read in the context of embracing empathy as a leadership skill :
Article on Forbes by Tracy Brower, PhDEmpathy has always been a critical skill for leaders, but it is taking on a new level of meaning and priority. Far from a soft approach it can drive significant business results.
You always knew demonstrating empathy is positive for people, but new research demonstrates its importance for everything from innovation to retention. Great leadership requires a fine mix of all kinds of skills to create the conditions for engagement, happiness and performance, and empathy tops the list of what leaders must get right.
To go through the survey findings mentioned in the above article, please follow this link.
Key findings of the Catalyst survey conducted by Tara Van Bommel, PhDKey Findings
• Empathy is a force for productivity, life-work integration, and positive work experiences.
• Empathy boosts productivity. Employees with empathic managers and leaders are more innovative and engaged in their work than are employees with less empathic managers and leaders.
• Women of color experience less burnout when they have more empathic senior leaders.
• Empathic leaders respect employee life circumstances.
• Empathic leaders support both life and work needs.
• Empathic leaders foster inclusion.
• Senior leader empathy is linked to reduced intent to leave.
Feel free to react in the comments below.